Topics Map > Services > Computing Equipment, Software and Support > Software
Zoom - Security
Notice: If you are looking for resources on HyFlex teaching, please visit our Teach HyFlex Page
Below are tips on how to keep your Zoom meetings secure.
Zoombombing is a term used to mean an uninvited person who acts as a troll in a public Zoom meeting (or any virtual forum). That person may take over the meeting and share inappropriate content with attendees. This does not seem to be an issue with smaller, private meetings, but could be more likely with a public forum, especially if meeting details are shared publicly on a website or social media.
Zoom has updated our licenses to default to having only the host allowed to share a screen. The host can change this setting if screen-sharing with other attendees is needed. There are some things you can do to prevent unwanted participation in your meetings:
- Allow only the host to share a screenUse the Waiting Room/Lobby to allow the moderator to let people in
- Do not share the meeting number on any social media
- Use a password for the meetings
While In a Meeting
The following security features are available in your running Zoom call.
- Mute/unmute participants
- Mute participants as they enter the meeting and lock the meeting once all participants have arrived
- Stop a participant's video or remove them from the meeting
- Enable or disable screen sharing for participants and allow multiple participants to share their screen at the same time.
Scheduling a Meeting
The following security features are available in your “Schedule a Meeting” window in your Zoom account.
- Meeting Password: This provides an additional layer of security, requiring your participants to have access to your meeting link as well as the numerical password.
- Participant Video: Turning the participant video off will ensure that participants are unable to use their camera in the connection and potentially distract other participants
- Audio: Audio can be limited to either phone or computer audio if necessary
- Mute participants upon entry: Selecting this feature ensures that no participant joining the meeting will be able to unmute their microphone unless you as the host provide that permission
- Enable waiting room: This feature allows you to see all participants in a waiting area before permitting them into the meeting. The participants cannot see each other and cannot see or hear you until you have moved them into the meeting.
- Zoom Security Information: https://zoom.us/security
- Video: Overview of Zoom Security Features
- Newsweek Story on Zoombombing: https://www.newsweek.com/fbi-warns-zoom-bombing-where-hackers-hijack-video-conferences-after-two-schools-affected-1495157
- FAQ Meetings Waiting Room and Passcode Requirements: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360045009111