Topics Map > Policies
Topics Map > Forms
Topics Map > Funding
Topics Map > Chairs/Heads
Topics Map > Travel

Student Academic Travel

Procedures and forms for students traveling domestically as part of an academic department or for a class. For international travel, please see

When NDSU students are traveling with a class or an academic department, a travel notification should be completed by the leader of the travel to inform the college and the Office of the Provost that students will be at an off-site location. The types of activities and events covered by this process include course-related field trips, co-curricular departmental student travel, and meetings of academic organizations or governance entities where a student is officially representing the university. 

If a student is traveling as part of their employment, it is NOT considered student academic travel, but instead falls within the guidelines of employee travel. Employees are identified as student employees, research assistants, graduate assistants, etc., where the student is acting within the scope of the job they have been hired to complete. See Policy 334 Student Travel Policy

If a student is traveling as part of an NDSU club or organization, it is NOT considered student academic travel. Trip leaders and students traveling with an NDSU club or organization should follow the procedures of the Congress of Student Organizations. Contact the Student Activities Office with questions related to this type of travel, or email 

Course Fees, Class Fees, and Travel Notifications

*** Instructors and departments should make every effort to include travel in the class syllabus.

If students will be charged to attend the field trip, Customer Account Services will need to add a fee to the course:

COURSE FEE: The fee will apply to ALL sections of the course. Ex. BIOL 150, every section. Used for music lessons, equine, teaching practicums, aviation.

CLASS FEE: The fee will apply to only identified sections of a course. Ex. BIOL 150, section 2. Used for study abroad and field trips.

Contact Customer Account Services to obtain the form by emailing

A travel notification will also need to be completed. See below.

A Travel Notification Form needs to be completed:

  • For all travel involving students, except for student employee travel.  
  • For any sponsored event or activity that the University endorses by supporting it financially, or by sending students to participate as official representatives of the University.

The travel notification form should be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to travel. This notification form will be automatically routed to the College Business Manager of the college in which the travel is occurring. If the trip leader has not communicated to the College how the travel will be funded, the College Business Manager may reach out to the Trip Leader with further questions about the travel.

NOTE for MULTIPLE FIELD TRIPS in which ALL TRIPS are listed on the course syllabus:

You may complete the travel notification just one time at the beginning of the semester, attach the syllabus in the spot for the participant list, and refer to the syllabus in your responses. Please note that the budget should then be for ALL field trips so that Customer Accounts can adjust students' accounts accordingly.



A Student Travel Waiver needs to be completed by each student:

  • For any travel not listed on a class syllabus.
  • For any travel completed by a non-employee of the university. Employees are identified as student employees, research assistants, graduate assistants, etc., where the student is acting within the scope of the job they have been hired to complete.

The trip leader will receive a copy of each student travel waiver. The trip leader is responsible for bringing the waivers on the trip, as the waivers include emergency contact information.

This link should be sent by the Trip Leader to each of the students who are participating in the trip:



Motor Pool/State Fleet Vehicles

This form does not notify Motor Pool for reserving vehicles. If your travel requires a state fleet vehicle, you should work directly with Motor Pool.


Policy 334 Student Travel Policy

NDSU Accounting's Travel rules and related policies.

Academic Affairs Travel - Preauthorization 

International Student Travel - including information on group international health insurance

Keywordstravel, authorization, field trips, student conference, trip leader, transportation, academic travel   Doc ID132059
OwnerMelissa L.GroupAcademic Affairs
Created2023-10-11 17:28:11Updated2024-02-16 13:12:06
SitesNDSU Academic Affairs
Feedback  0   0