Topics Map > Enrollment
Topics Map > Academic Integrity
Topics Map > Policies
Topics Map > Employment
Topics Map > Grievance
Topics Map > Forms

Student Grievances

Steps for students who encounter an issue or need to file a complaint.

Conflict Resolution

The first step toward conflict resolution is direct contact with the involved parties. For example, a dispute about a grade should be first discussed with the instructor of the course.

If direct contact was unsuccessful or was not appropriate, seek assistance through one of the channels below or fill out the online form below.

Conflict Scenarios

If you have a concern about...

Course Instruction or Academic Advising

  • Try to work it out with the instructor or advisor. It is recommended to email or leave a voicemail to request a meeting. Face-to-face conversations typically work best. Instructors' office hours may be an opportunity to connect. If the concern is over a final grade for a course, refer to PDF download:policy 337 for a PDF download:grade appeal.
  • If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor or advisor, contact the Chair or Head of the department that oversees the course or advisor for an appointment or phone call.
  • If the issue is not resolved with the Chair/Head, contact the Dean of the College that oversees the program.
  • If the issue is not resolved with the Dean, complete the form at the bottom of the page to contact the Office of the Provost.

Academic Misconduct

A Roommate or Housing Situation

Your Degree Progress

An Academic Policy

Tuition and Fees


Safety and Security

Student Employment

  • For issues with employment, contact your supervisor first.
  • If you are not able to resolve the issue with your supervisor:

Discrimination, Harassment, or Sexual Violence (including all Title IX complaints)

Another Student’s Behavior

State Authorization

  • For questions regarding state authorization for distance courses, visit the One Stop page on State Authorization. If you have a student grievance, contact the Office of the Provost via the process listed below.

KeywordsStudent complaints, grievance, Conflict resolution, Course instruction or academic advising, academic misconduct, roommate, housing, residence life, Degree progress, Academic Policy, Tuition and Fees, appeal, parking and transportation services, parking, citations, safety and security, university police, counselor, counseling center, Student health services, Student employment, Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual violence, Title IX, Student behavior, State authorization   Doc ID128953
OwnerRiley G.GroupAcademic Affairs
Created2023-06-12 09:01:14Updated2023-06-13 10:58:43
SitesNDSU Academic Affairs
Feedback  0   0