Topics Map > Services > Records Management
Records Management - Laws, Policies and Procedures
Notice: If you are looking for resources on HyFlex teaching, please visit our Teach HyFlex Page
Below are the laws, policies and procedures regarding records management.
- NDSU Policy 713, Records Management - This policy identifies the policy and purpose for records management at NDSU.
- NDSU Policy 713.1, Litigation Hold - This policy defines procedures and processes for maintaining records that are required to be kept due to litigation holds.
- NDSU Policy 718, Public/Open/Confidential Records - This policy defines what a public record is, as well as the procedure for handling public record requests.
NDUS Policies and Procedures
- NDUS Policy 1912, Public Records - This policy, together with its associated procedures, provides guidance and standards for public records and further defines what records are not considered public records.
- NDUS Procedure 1912.1, Information Security Procedures - This procedure describes how records are to be protected.
- NDUS Procedure 1912.2, Student Records – Directory Information - This procedure classifies what is and is not considered to be student directory information and available for public view.
- NDUS Procedure 1912.3, Employee Personal Information - This procedure defines what employee personal information is considered public and what employee information is classified confidential and must be protected.
ND Century Code
The North Dakota Century Code contains several sections relevant to records management.
- NDCC 12.1-11-05 Tampering with public records - This section defines what constitutes tampering with public and government records and states the penalty for such offense.
- NDCC 44-04, Duties, Records and Meetings - This section provides regulations and standards on what is considered a public record and who has access to all records classified as public.
- NDCC 44-04.17.1, Definitions - This section includes definitions of the various types of records, as well as laws, public business, information technology resources, etc.
- NDCC 44-04-18 Access to public records - Electronically stored information - This section (it starts on page 4 of chapter 44-04) deals with open records, confidential information, etc. Definitions are in section 17.1.
- NDCC 54-46-02 Records Management - This chapter defines a state record and the process to be used to manage records.
- NDCC 55-02.1-01, Archival Resources Defined - This section defines “archival resources.”
- NDCC 55-02.1-05 Depositories of archival resources - This section provides for agreements between the state historical society and state universities to serve as regional depositories (e.g., the NDSU archives).
ND Open Records information
Information on ND open records guidelines, policies and procedures are available at https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/open-records-meetings/manuals-and-guides