The following checklists are supplemental to the Separation Checklist provided on the NDSU Human Resources and Payroll website. These are intended to provide additional examples of IT accounts, files and services that require attention when an employee is separating from the university. Supervisors should consult HR's checklist for a more complete guide for addressing the necessary steps when an employee leaves NDSU.
Step 1: Move or transfer ownership of files
- Google Drive
- Microsoft OneDrive for Business
- NDSU email and calendar
- Personal (U:) drive (NDSU File Services)
- Yuja Lecture Capture
Step 2: Transfer ownership of services and accounts
- Department (S:) and cross-department (X:) shared drives (NDSU File Services)
- Mass email lists (Listserv)
- Shared email accounts
- Shared resources and calendars
- Websites (Pubweb sites and CMS sites)
Step 3: Prepare for the closing of your NDSU Email account
Step 4: Remove NDSU-provided software from your personal computer
Step 5: Download and save personal files
- Contact the IT Help Desk to request the departing individuals email account be either disabled or removed. (If this is not specified the email account will remain active)
- Services provided by NDSU (Library, Wireless, Shared Folder Access, Google Drive) will be automatically locked upon termination of employment with Human Resources
- Establish a timeline and process for the separating employee to move or transfer ownership of files that will need to be accessed by others in your department after departure.
- Transfer ownership of NDSU services, shared accounts or shared resources for which the departing employee is currently the designated owner.
- Consider using a generic shared account email address to replace references to the departing individual’s email address. Office 365 - Shared Mailbox and Shared Calendars can be requested through the IT Help Desk.
- Search the NDSU.EDU website to ensure that the separated individual for any business communication listed, if found please remove.