Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Services for Faculty
Assessment is a process of gathering information about what students know, understand, and can do (Huba & Freed, 2000). The intent of assessment is not only to ‘gauge’ the learning process, but also to improve the process.
Authentic Assessment: Authentic assessment focuses on the student’s performance and quality of work completed aligned with the course goals. Assignments can be designed to provide students with opportunities to use multimedia, technology, and other resources for their projects. This can promote student engagement by enabling greater attention to detail, encouraging creativity, and embracing challenges.
Tips/ best practices
- Assessing Large Class - Learn tips on how to assess large classes
- Alternative Assessment - Explore ways to create alternative assessments
- Assessment Strategies - Learn about the different strategies you can use to assess your student learning
Online Assessment Tips
- Selecting Online Alternatives to Common Assessment Methods - Learn more about assessments techniques you can employ in your online courses
- Blackboard Tests - Tips for Instructors - Explore tips and strategies of creating tests in Blackboard
- Authentic Assessment: Creating a Blueprint for Course Design - Learn about authentic assessments