Topics Map > Services > Accounts, Access, and ID Card > Account Hub
New Student Checklist
As a new student at NDSU, follow the instructions below to activate your N.D. University System account, email account, and NDSU electronic ID.
- Step 1 - Claim your N.D. University System Account
- Step 2 - Set up DUO Multi-factor Authentication
- Step 3 - Log In to your Campus Email
- Step 4 - NDSU Electronic ID Set Up
N.D. University System Account Setup
Used for the following systems: Campus Connection; Email (@ndus.edu); Blackboard NDUS System; Housing Application; Scholarship Application (Effective November 2022, students will use their NDUS account to access the Scholarship Application)
Step 1 - Claim your N.D. University System Account
- Go to https://claim.ndus.edu
- Click Claim an NDUS Account.
- Enter your Student ID / EMPLID and 8-digit birthdate in the fields provided and click Continue.
- Check I Agree then click Continue to proceed.
- A confirmation message displays indicating that your account has been activated. Click the Continue button again to proceed.
- Next, you will be prompted to input a new password.
- After new password has been accepted, click Change Password
- A dialog box indicating that you have successfully changed your password appears. Click the Continue button to proceed to the next steps.
- You can now use the Setup Google Authentication or Setup Alternate E-mail options, or both, to set up password recovery options in case you forget your password.
- After you have set up your password recovery options, you are done with the NDUS account claim process and you can log out.
Step 2 - Set up DUO Multi-factor Authentication
- Go to the N.D. University System Portal page
- Log in using your N.D. University System username and password that you set up in the step above.
- Follow the prompts to set up Multi-Factor Authentication for the first time.
- For step-by-step instructions, visit https://guide.duo.com/enrollment
- Be sure to use your own phone number when setting up Multi-Factor Authentication, NOT your parent/guardian's.
- Once completed, click on your name in the top right corner and select Logout
Step 3 - Log In to your Campus Email
- Next, sign into your email for the first time by going to the Microsoft Office 365 login page.
- Enter your NDSU email username (typically FirstName.LastName@ndus.edu - notice @ndus not @ndsu) and click Next.
- Enter the password associated with your N.D. University System ID and click Log In.
Note, if you see an error that your account is blocked, the account may still be syncing. Please retry this step in an hour.
- An Outlook Web App page should now load, choose your language and Time Zone and click OK to finish
- You should now see your Inbox
Activate your NDSU Electronic ID
Used for the following systems: You Belong Here Online Orientation; Computer Labs; Library Services; Wireless Networks
Step 4 - NDSU Electronic ID
Your electronic ID is usually your Firstname.Lastname.
- Open a Web browser, and go to www.ndsu.edu/enroll
- Click Set up your NDSU account, and then enter the following information:
- Last Name
- Student ID / EMPLID (7-digit ID number)
- Birth Month (MM)
- Birth Day (DD)
- Birth Year (YYYY)
- Click I agree to agree to follow university and N.D. University System policies and procedures regarding use of information technology services and electronic resources
- You will then be asked to approve a Multi-Factor Authentication prompt
- Set and confirm a passphrase
- Add an email recovery option, and then retrieve the code from your email account to validate it
- Optional: Add a phone (SMS) recovery option, and then retrieve the code from your phone to validate it
- Click Logout in the top right corner when finished