Topics Map > Services > Records Management
Records Management - Laws, Policies and Procedures
Below are the laws, policies and procedures regarding records management.
- NDSU Policy 713, Records Management - This policy identifies the policy and purpose for records management at NDSU.
- NDSU Policy 713.1, Litigation Hold - This policy defines procedures and processes for maintaining records that are required to be kept due to litigation holds.
- NDSU Policy 718, Public/Open/Confidential Records - This policy defines what a public record is, as well as the procedure for handling public record requests.
ND Century Code
The North Dakota Century Code contains several sections relevant to records management.
- NDCC 12.1-11-05 Tampering with public records - This section defines what constitutes tampering with public and government records and states the penalty for such offense.
- NDCC 44-04, Duties, Records and Meetings - This section provides regulations and standards on what is considered a public record and who has access to all records classified as public.
- NDCC 44-04.17.1, Definitions - This section includes definitions of the various types of records, as well as laws, public business, information technology resources, etc.
- NDCC 44-04-18 Access to public records - Electronically stored information - This section (it starts on page 4 of chapter 44-04) deals with open records, confidential information, etc. Definitions are in section 17.1.
- NDCC 54-46-02 Records Management - This chapter defines a state record and the process to be used to manage records.
- NDCC 55-02.1-01, Archival Resources Defined - This section defines “archival resources.”
- NDCC 55-02.1-05 Depositories of archival resources - This section provides for agreements between the state historical society and state universities to serve as regional depositories (e.g., the NDSU archives).
ND Open Records information
Information on ND open records guidelines, policies and procedures are available at https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/open-records-meetings/manuals-and-guides