Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Exam Management
Respondus 4.0 - Publish Tests to Blackboard
Use the instructions below to publish (upload) tests created offline to a Blackboard course.
Import a Test
Tests created offline can be saved in the.doc, .docx (MS-Word), .rtf or .txt formats. See the Word Formatting Guide for Respondus for question format requirements.
- Open Respondus 4.0.
- Click the Start tab at the top > click Open or Create on the left, if not already selected.
- Click Import Questions.
- Click the Type of file: drop-down list > select the file format.
- Click Browse > select the test file > Open.
- Enter a test name in the "Create a new document, named:" field, or select "Append the questions to the current document."
- Select Exam or Survey.
- Click Preview > check the Preview results window at the bottom for any issues.
- If issues exist, click Cancel > open the test file in the original application > fix the identified issues > Save the changes and close the file.
- Repeat the steps above until no issues exist in the Preview results. Note: some Warnings identified in the Preview results do not require a fix.
- Click Finish.
Open an Existing Respondus Test (previously imported)
- Open Respondus 4.0.
- Click Start, Open or Create > Open > select the file > Open.
Publish to a Blackboard Course
Note: The publishing process has changed due to recent updates to Blackboard and the NDUS authentication method - you'll need to take these specific steps to publish tests successfully. If you have not created a connection to the Blackboard server, see Respondus 4.0 - Connect to Blackboard
- Click the Preview + Publish tab at the top.
- Click Publish on the left > click Publish Wizard.
- Leave "Publish to single course" and the existing Blackboard Server: selected > click Next.
- Click OK when you see this Respondus message box - this is not an error message:
- If you see this "Authentication Module Download" message > click OK. You will only need to download this module once.
- Important: WAIT for a generic browser window with the Blackboard log in screen to appear - this may take a few seconds.
- Click My Bb Login > enter your NDUS username and password, as usual.
- Once logged in to Blackboard > click "Close After Login" in the top-right corner of the browser window - do not click on anything else in this window!
- Click OK again to dismiss the Respondus message box.
- Select the course.
- Select "Create new Exam" > enter a title, or select "Replace existing Exam" > select the existing exam from the drop-down list.
Note: Optionally, select Create new Pool or Replace existing Pool to import the questions to a Blackboard test Pool.
- Recommended: Uncheck "Apply Random Blocks to Exam > Check "Apply Settings to Exam" and "Link Exam to Content Area and make available".
- Click Next.
- Select the area where the test should be deployed.
- Click Next > see the status messages appear as the test is uploaded.
- Click Finish > close Respondus.