Topics Map > Services > Security > Protect Yourself and Others
Protect Yourself and Others - Lock Your Computer
Do you walk away from your desk or your office without locking your computer? It only takes a few seconds for someone to do serious damage to your computer or your files or to access information on the computer. It takes only a few seconds to secure your computer. Take the time to lock your computer when you leave your desk. Not sure how to do it? There are two methods to do this: one to lock down the computer and one to set a password protected screensaver. You should use both methods outlined below for your operating system.
To Quickly Lock a Windows Based Computer
- Hold the Windows Key on the keyboard and press L
- To Log back in, press any key or move your mouse to bring up your login screen
To Quickly Lock an Apple Computer
- Eject - If your Apple computer has an optical drive (DVD)
- Power - If your Apple computer has no optical drive
To Quickly Lock Most Linux Distributions
- Click your user name in the upper right
- Select Lock Screen
- To unlock press any key or move your mouse to get your login screen back
Set a Password Protected Screen Saver for Windows Computers
- Click the Start button - Windows 8 - bring up the Charms (swipe in from the right, or move mouse to far right of the screen) > Click Settings > Click Change PC settings
- Click Control Panel
- Click Appearance and Personalization
- Click Personalization
- Click Screen Saver
- Select a Screen Saver
- Check the box: On resume, display Logon screen
- Choose 10 minutes in the Wait box
- Click Apply
- You can then close the screen saver settings and control panel
To Set a Password Protected Screensaver for the Macintosh OSX
- Click the Apple logo in the upper left.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click Security and Privacy.
- Click the Lock icon in the lower left to make changes. (If needed) - Enter your Computer user name and password to authenticate.
- Check the box labeled Require Password for Sleep and Screensaver.
- Click the Close window button in the upper left to save the changes.