Respondus 4.0 - Troubleshooting Tips
Below are tips from LAIC for troubleshooting problems with Respondus 4.0.
Keep Respondus 4.0 up-to-date to avoid the majority of errors:
- Open Respondus
- Click Help > Check For Update > Get Update
- Follow the prompts displayed until you see a message that you have the latest version available
-- OR --
- If "Check For Update" reports no updates are needed. Download the latest update directly from Respondus . Choose the Campus-wide Version patch link to download/install the correct patch version.
Common Warning Messages
When you click Import Questions > Preview you may see a variety of "warning" messages in the Preview results window at the bottom of the Import Questions dialog box - some of these warning messages can be ignored, but others must be fixed in the Word document and then imported to Respondus again.
- "duplicate question" warnings can almost always be ignored. Respondus reads the first few words of each question to create a question title. If you have multiple questions that begin with the same words, such as "Which of the following . . ." Respondus flags these questions as duplicates.
- A "missing answer" or "unreadable" warning cannot be ignored. There is a formatting issue in your Word document, OR you neglected to put an asterisk next to the correct answer for the question. The most common issues are:
- There is a heading or description in your exam in the Word document. Respondus cannot read these - they should be deleted.
- There is a table or chart in your exam, bullets or numbering, or other formatting Respondus can't understand - these should be deleted in the Word document. This formatting can be added into your questions in Blackboard after uploading them.
- There is a missing 'return' (blank line) - Respondus cannot tell where a new question begins.
- There is a missing 'correct answer' or too many answers are marked correct depending on the question type.
- There is a missing period after the question number or answer choice indicator (Example: 3 Question, or B Example answer).
- There is an extra space between the asterisk (*) and the answer choice indicator (Example: * B. See the extra space).
- You have essay, short answer, or question types other than Multiple Choice or True/False, but they are not marked with the required "Type" code - Respondus does not know how to handle the question (Example: Type MA is multiple answer; Type E is Essay). The Type code must precede the question number on a line by itself for all question types other than Multiple Choice or True/False.