Topics Map > Services > Accounts, Access, and ID Card > Identity and Access Management

Change Your Directory Information

This web page is intended to give instructions on how to change directory information for students, faculty, and staff.

Change your usernames and email address

NDSU students, faculty and staff have the option to request a change to the usernames they use to log into their electronic accounts, including their email address. Contact the IT Help Desk at 701-231-8685 or bring your NDSU ID Card to the IT Help Desk in Quentin Burdick Building 150 to request to change your usernames. Your request will change your username for each of the following accounts:
  • Bison Login
  • N.D. University System ID
  • NDSU email address
The username change process may take more than 5 business days to complete. Your request will not change the display name for each of these accounts. To change your display name you must change your preferred name.

Change your legal name

If you legal name has changes, you must notify the appropriate NDSU office to have your legal name updated in NDSU systems:
Students (undergraduate students, graduate students and student employees) will log into Campus Connection and click on the eForms tile to access the Legal Name Change Request Form. Click on Legal Name Change Request Form on the left side of the page. Students should monitor their NDSU email for any communication about the completion of the form. Previous students who do not have a Campus Connection login should use the guest homepage and click on 'Campus Solutions Guest Page'.
Faculty and Staff must complete a Name Change Form at Human Resources and Payroll. Please bring appropriate paperwork, i.e., Social Security Card, and, if applicable, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree. Contact Human Resources and Payroll at (701) 231-8961 or for more information on the process and paperwork required. 
The legal name change process may take 3 - 5 business days to complete. This process does not change your username.

Change your preferred name

A preferred name is the name a person wishes to be known as, especially if this name is different than their legal name. NDSU students, faculty and staff have the opportunity to set a preferred name that best matches their self-identity. 
Preferred names can be set for first and/or last names*.  For example, this could include a nickname based off a legal first or middle name, or a chosen name that best matches a person's gender self-identity. Individuals who are in the process of changing their gender and/or marital status may also change their preferred last names while legal name changes are in process. Individuals with names that include letters outside of the English alphabet can use those letters in their preferred names. 
*Preferred last name changes need to be requested through HR for employees and through Registration and Records for students. Preferred names appear in the many of the electronic systems students, faculty and staff use, including:'
  • Email display name
  • Blackboard learning management system
  • Online directory
Students (undergraduate students, graduate students and student employees) can set their preferred first name using Campus Connection. View instructions on how to edit your preferred name using Campus Connection
Faculty and staff can set their preferred first name using HR Employee Self-Service:
  1. Log in to Employee Self-Service using your University System ID and Password
  2. Click Main Menu, then Self Service, then Personal Information, and then Name Change - Preferred
  3. Enter your preferred first name and then click Save to finish
If you have questions, please contact Human Resources and Payroll at
Preferred name changes take effect 24 hours after you submit the change. Changing your preferred name does not change your legal name or your username.

Update other directory information

Students are responsible for maintaining current mailing addresses and phone numbers in Campus Connection. View instructions on how to update personal information using Campus Connection. 
For faculty and staff, submit a directory change for your campus address, phone number, email address, building or room information, please send an email to Include your name, Empl ID and correction information.

See Also

Keywordsaccounts   Doc ID95358
OwnerSteve S.GroupIT Knowledge Base
Created2019-10-28 13:58:38Updated2024-02-12 11:52:36
SitesIT Knowledge Base
Feedback  1   4