Zoom Phone - Accepting a Delegation Request
On Demand Video: How to Establish a Shared Line Delegate (3:12)
Examples of how this feature can be used include:
- One person taking another's calls while they are away on vacation.
- One person covering another while they are away at lunch or in a meeting.
Shared lines are direct phone numbers that belong to the Delegator (person who needs another to take their calls) but can be used by their Delegate (person who takes the calls on behalf of the Delegator). Both Delegator and Delegate must have a direct phone number and a calling plan.
The process to assign delegation privileges to someone can be found in Zoom Phone - Assign Delegation Privileges
The Delegator will begin the process of making you a delegate by sending you a delegation request. You will receive an email notification, but you must log into the Zoom Web Portal to accept or deny the it. Below are the steps to accept the request:
Accepting a Delegation Request
- Sign into the NDSU Zoom Web Portal.
- Navigate to the Phone Settings tab.
- The Delegate Request notification will be visible in the bottom-right corner.
- Click the View link in the notification or scroll down to the Delegation & Assistant section.
- Any pending delegate requests will appear next to the Assistant subheading.
- Click Accept.
- Click Accept again in the next dialog box.
The web portal interface updates to show you are now an Assistant for the delegator.
Delegates can be granted three functions:
- Place Calls - Selecting the Delegator’s number in the Delegate’s Caller ID list (below number pad) will send the Delegate’s caller ID to the called party.
- Answer Calls - The ability to answer the Delegator’s line. When granted the ability to Answer Calls, you will get the call notification for all incoming calls to the Delegator's direct phone number.
- Pick Up Hold Calls - Either the Delegate or the Delegator can place a call on hold that is on the Delegator’s line and then either can pick it up.
To start or stop receiving Delegator calls:
- Go to your profile button (top-right of app window).
- Click Receive Shared Calls.
- Click the toggle to receive Delegator calls or toggle it off to stop receiving them.
Note: Contact the delegator if you no longer want to be assigned as a delegate.