Video Recording Purge (Delete) Schedule
Video recording solutions are not intended for long-term storage. The following is the outline for scheduled purges of recorded video files from our recording solutions.
Beginning September 30, 2022
- Purge 9 months from creation on rolling basis
- Rationale: The majority of class recordings include FERPA information (student name and/or video) and are not to be used for future semesters. There is no way to decipher which videos contain FERPA information and which do not.
- Purge 2 years from creation (purge 1-year of recordings on July 1 of each year)
- Example: July 1, 2023 recordings created July 1, 2020-June 30, 2021 will be deleted.
- Rationale: NDUS manages this service and established the retention policy.
YuJa Proctored Exams
- Purge 6 months from creation on rolling basis
- Rationale: These are deleted sooner because they contain more sensitive FERPA information (a recording of their student ID). They are not a student record, and by direction of the Registrar, should be purged once grades are posted. Six months was chosen in the event there are grade disputes, or incompletes.
- Purge all videos that have not been viewed for 1 year on a rolling basis.
- Rationale: The majority of these recordings do not contain FERPA information, however they could. If a video has not been viewed for 1 year it likely is no longer needed. For the event a video is only used once every two years (some courses are offered once every two years), the instructor can download the video and then re-upload the next time the course is offered, as there are not many of these types of courses.
- Transcodes for all videos that have not been viewed for 6 months will be deleted. Transcodes are automatically generated for all videos to provide different resolution of videos for users, our settings are currently set for 360p, 720p, and 1080p. The recording will still play at the original resolution it was recorded in (1280x720 is the default); if someone needs a different resolution, submit a Help Desk ticket.