Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Learning Managment System
Blackboard - Add Banner Images to a Course
Instructors can personalize Blackboard courses by adding an appropriate image as a course banner. Banner images appear at the top of the Announcements page when inside the course and on the course card displayed on the Courses page in Grid View.
Change Course Views
- Log in to Blackboard > click Courses in the navigation menu on the left.
- Click the List View icon in the top-left corner of the Courses page. All courses display vertically without images.
- Click the Grid View icon in the top-left corner. An image displays on each course card.
Banner Image Dimensions
For best results banner images should be at least 1200 pixels wide X 240 pixels tall. Images containing text don't scale well.
See How to Create a Banner for Your Course in PowerPoint for one simple way to create a banner image.
Add the Banner Image
There are two ways to add a banner image to a course -- either method produces the same results.
- Click "Courses" in the left-navigation menu (before opening a course).
- Click the "Grid View" icon in the upper-left corner of the card, if necessary.
- Click the "3 dots" icon that appears in the upper-right corner when the mouse is over the card.
- Select "Edit course image".
- Click "Upload new image" > locate and select the image file > click "Open".
- If the image is too small, a message appears. Resize the image and follow steps 3-5 again.
- Note: If the banner image contains text, uncheck "Mark as decorative" and add the text in the "Image description" box!
- Click and drag, or use the arrow keys to reposition your image > click "Done".
- Click "Save".
- Open the course in Blackboard.
- Select "Customization" > "Teaching Style" (below the Control Panel on the left).
- Click "Browse Local Files" in the Select Banner section > locate and select the image file > click "Open".
- Type descriptive text in the "Banner Alt Text" box. If the image contains text, include that text in the Alt text box.
- Click "Submit".