Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Clickers
TurningClassic Getting Started
With TurningClassic, content and polling data are self-contained to either your receiver or computer. Poll in PowerPoint, over top of any application, or deliver self-paced assessments.
Items you will need:
• A Turning Receiver (instructor kit is available with clicker if needed)
• Access to PowerPoint
The Turning Receiver (or instructor kit) is available to pick up at the LAIC in the QBB rm 150C. These kits include a booklet with basic information about TurningClassic, a receiver (the USB drive) and a clicker if needed.
With the TurningClassic software there are two options for the students to answer the questions. The first is by using their mobile devices such as a phone, tablet, or laptop. These can be used by downloading the app or going to the website and signing in with their @NDSU email. The other option is students can purchase a clicker and answer that way. The clicker connects to the polling software with the receiver. Note that the students using the clicker will not be able to see the question on their clicker. This means that the clickers are only used for in-person teaching.
Instructors must sync their courses before they proceed. This process can be found on the instructor resources page in the knowledge base.
When you plug in the receiver you will have all the software downloaded on it. There should be a PC and Mac version. When you open the version that matches your computer and sign in with your @NDSU email you should see the TurningClassic dashboard (see picture below)
The dashboard is split into a few sections:
- The first section is the dashboard tabs, this is where you will find the information for each section. Polling is where you deal with polling, content is where you deal with content, and manage is where you deal with managing grades or uploading them to Blackboard.
- The second section is where you see your synced courses and can select the course before opening a polling option.
- The third section is where you can change your receiver number that the clickers will connect to. Each room at NDSU has been assigned a channel to avoid interference, you will find the list of classrooms and their channel number for your you will receiver use.
- The fourth section is where you enable mobile responses, this is how the students will connect their phones or laptops to the polling.
- The fifth section is where you select which polling option you would like to use.
- The sixth section is where you see content that you made in the content tab.
- The seventh section is where you see your current version or check for updates.