Topics Map > Services > Communication and Collaboration Tools (Web, Video, Voice, Storage) > File Storage, Sharing, and Collaboration
This product is integrated into Microsoft Office 365 and can be accessed from both on and off campus by students, faculty and staff. OneDrive gives you the ability to sync your data to the cloud and also share the data with others.
OneDrive has a feature that will allow you to synchronize some of the files on your PC with the cloud. This sync process does provide some form of data backup** and allows you to access your files from a non-NDSU computer.
- Files added to your OneDrive folder are automatically synchronized
- Files are accessible from home
- Files can be shared with others (see Collaboration)
- Files that are deleted are saved and recoverable for up to 14 days in the cloud - they are also saved in the Trash on the local computer
- Files are accessible on Mac, however there is no auto-sync option.
- On both PC and Mac, you can edit office documents in the cloud without having Office installed on the local computer.
See the Microsoft OneDrive Sync page for instructions on how to sync your OneDrive contents to your computer using the OneDrive sync client.
OneDrive has a feature that will allow you to collaborate with other NDSU users. The collaboration allows for sharing of specific files or folder contents with individual or groups.
- Relatively simple setup through the Office 365 Web portal
- People with whom you share files/folders are notified automatically via email
- Can be used in conjunction with the sync feature
Learn More/How To's
- Being able to view and edit files from both a home computer and on campus computers.
- Sharing files between people
- Backing-up files from a PC
- File organization
- Reduction of memory on computer storage space