Resources for students to be successful in courses in-person and online.
Definition:HyFlex is short for hybrid-flexible. At NDSU, this means each course is built to give students and instructors a choice to attend either in person or remotely. The course still has a physical classroom and synchronous instruction, and the learning outcomes are the same regardless of mode of attendance. It uses existing technologies as well as new ones planned from CARES funding to achieve this. HyFlex is not a software package, a learning management system, or a specific pedagogical approach.
Consider using these devices and services while off-campus. All may not be required, depending on your coursework. If you need and do not have access to technology resources, please contact your instructor.
- Laptop, desktop computer, or mobile/tablet device
- Webcam with microphone
- Secure Internet connection
- If you are using Multi-factor Authentication (MFA), make sure you have a second-factor set up in Duo that you can access from home when you are prompted for Mult-factor Authentication. If you only have it set up to call a campus phone or you leave your token on campus, you will need to be able to authenticate with a device at home. Learn how to add or manage your devices.
- Make sure you keep all software and operating systems updated
- Install and run anti-virus software for Windows and Mac.
- Check your email often, as it is the primary means of University communication
- Back up your work, using Google Drive or OneDrive
- Use Blackboard to connect with your instructors and classmates
- Use Navigate to connect with your advisor
- Consider using your camera when attending class remotely.
- Using your camera allows your instructor and fellow students to get feedback on engagement and understanding. It also helps you stay engaged with your material.
- You may choose to turn your camera off if your internet connection is unstable. You may also choose to turn off the camera due to distractions in your environment. While instructors prefer to see you, they will assume you are participating. We recommend being active in the chat of your remote session, especially if you have your camera off.
- Be aware of phishing scams targeting campuses that pretend to be the University with COVID-19 updates. Do not approve a request from DUO to log in to something if you aren't trying to log in. Don't click suspicious links and don't share your password or any private information (SSN, birthday, credit card numbers).
- Consider your data usage on any mobile devices you have plans on. If you normally connect your personal device (like your smartphone) to campus wireless and you start to use your data for video meetings at home, be mindful of your data use so you don't have surprise charges on your personal bill.
- Getting Started - Browser support, navigate inside a course, find your course, and how to succeed online
- About You - Personal settings, profile, and portfolios
- Stay in the Loop - Activity stream, announcements, calendar, course notices, and notifications
- Interact with Others - Blogs, discussions, email, groups, journals, and other communication tools
- Assignments - Submit assignments, submit group assignments, supported file types, assignment grades, and more
- Grades - My grades page, new grade alerts, submission receipts, view feedback, and more
Yuja Software Capture for recording - System Requirements:
- Processor: 2 GHz x 86 - or x64-bit dual core processor (Recommended: 2.4 GHz, quad core)
- Memory (RAM): 2 GB RAM (Recommended: 4 GB)
- Hard Disk: 100 MB for install (approximately 250 MB per hour of content for temporary storage)
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions); Mac OS 10.11 or higher (Mojave or newer - OS 10.10 - the Yellowstone OS will NOT work)
Computer Lab Software Available Remotely
The IT Division has enabled remote desktop into your computer lab/classroom computers. This will allow you to access your computer lab/classroom software like you would in person but just remotely. Please note that audio and video over the Internet using this functionality may have significant delays.