Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Learning Managment System
Learning Management System
Learning management systems (LMS) are digital learning environments used for the delivery of educational courses, training programs, or learning and development programs.
OverviewNDSU has three LMS options available to faculty, staff and students.
Blackboard Learn Original is the official LMS for all North Dakota University System (NDUS) institutions, including NDSU. Blackboard Learn Original connects students, faculty and staff inside and outside of the classroom.
Instructors use Blackboard Learn Original to:
- Communicate with Students
- Share course syllabi and materials
- Distribute class assignments
- Create and make online quizzes and tests available
- Post grades and feedback
- Facilitate student collaboration and engagement
Google Classroom offers flexible ways to organize communications, files and other resources in a team environment. Google Classroom should not be seen as a substitute or replacement for Blackboard Learn Original.
LON-CAPA (Learning Online Network with Computer-Assisted Personalized Approach) is an LMS used by the NDSU Physics Department for multiple courses.
Both faculty and students will use their NDUS.Identifier username (jane.doe) and password to log into Blackboard. For assistance contact the IT Help Desk.
- Students should check Blackboard Learn Original or check with their instructor to see if they are using Blackboard this semester.
- Faculty should use Blackboard Learn Original unless you have a specific need for an alternative.
Blackboard Learn is the official supported LMS at NDSU and is recommended for most courses. To provide an effective learning environment, faculty should follow simple course design, ensure easy navigable course structure, and consistent content layout.
The tools in the LMS can track learner progress and performance and provides useful communication and collaboration for students and instructors.
Learn More/How To's
The main objective of the LMS is to manage course materials, communication, activities, and assessments in a digital course environment. Instructors create courses, post materials, provide feedback, communicate with students, and assess their progress. Students access course materials, view and complete learning activities and submit assignments and tests, collaborate with peers, communicate with the instructor, and keep track of grades in their courses.
Blackboard Learn Original
- Blackboard Learn Original measures and evaluates accessibility levels using two sets of standards: Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act issued from the United States federal government and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) issued by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
- Blackboard Learn Original supplements accessibility by supporting content uploaded to the course and organization sites with Anthology Ally . Anthology Ally is integrated into the LMS providing accessibility guidance to instructors and creating Alternative Formats for students.
- Google for Education creates products with accessibility in mind, to help every student learn, be inspired, and achieve their full potential.
- LON-CAPA assesses their content with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. (WCAG 1.0)