Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Exam Management
LockDown Browser – Respondus Instructor Troubleshooting
This is an overview on some troubleshooting tips for Instructors using Respondus LockDown browser.
Note: Unstable Internet connections and/or temporary disruptions may cause a student to get ‘kicked out’ of a test before they’re done. To avoid as many issues as possible, ask students not to use a wireless Internet connection to take the test!
Issue: Students are ‘kicked out’ of the test or Respondus LockDown Browser ‘freezes’ while taking the test. Students may or may not see any error messages when this happens.
Solution: The student’s Internet connection was disrupted temporarily or disconnected. Students should contact you to request another test attempt if they weren’t able to continue the test.
Issue: Students are prompted to enter a password, even if you didn’t require one.
Solution 1: Make sure they aren’t trying to open the test in a browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser.
Solution 2: If they ARE using the LockDown Browser and see the password prompt, you will need to follow the steps below to reset the Respondus LockDown Browser requirement.
Issue: Students see “There is a problem with the LockDown Browser settings for this test.” – You have changed the Test Options for the test after enabling Respondus LockDown Browser.
Solution: Use the steps below to reset the Respondus LockDown Browser requirement.
Reset the test to restore Respondus LockDown Browser functionality:
After Respondus LockDown Browser has been enabled for a test these four settings should not be changed in the Test Options – if changed, students will not be able to open the test in the LockDown Browser:
- Name: “- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser” was automatically added to the test name
- Open Test in a New Window: “Yes” is required - do not select “No”
- Password: CHECK is required – do not UNCHECK this box
- Password: DO NOT change or delete the auto-generated password consisting of numbers and letters
- If you uncheck the Password checkbox OR delete or change the auto-generated password in Test Options, students can open the test using ANY browser!
- DO NOT give the Respondus generated password in the Test Options to students – this internal password will NOT work!
- Open the course in Blackboard
- Click Course Tools (below Control Panel), select Respondus LockDown Browser
- Click the “Fix It” button – “Error” and “Fix it” is replaced by “Required”
- If you must change the test name, Edit the Test Options, then use steps 1-3 to re-enable Respondus LockDown Browser functionality
To Require a Password for the Test:
DO NOT enter your password in the Test Options password field!
- Click Course Tools > Respondus LockDown Browser
- Click the down-arrow icon to the left of the Test name > Settings
- Select “Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this test” > click the + symbol to expand “Password Settings”, if necessary
- Type the password in the box provided
- Click Save + Close > give students this password to take the test