Topics Map > Services > Security > Multi-Factor Authentication
Multi-Factor Authentication - Adding a USB Security Token or Code Generator to Your DUO Account
Both Security Keys/Tokens and Code Generators can be added to NDSU DUO accounts for multi-factor authentication. Below are instructions on how to add both types of devices to your DUO account at NDSU.
Adding a USB Security Key/Token
USB security keys/tokens are devices that are plugged into the USB port on your computer. When prompted to approve DUO, users can simply touch their security key/token to approve it.
If you recently purchased a USB security key/token from the NDSU Bookstore, follow the instructions below to add it to your DUO account.
- Sign into the NDSU Account Management System (https://apps.ndsu.edu/accounts/) with your NDSU username and password
- Once signed in, click on Multifactor Authentication from the left menu
- Click Manage Duo Settings, and approve the DUO prompt
- Click Add another device
- Select Security Key, then click Continue
- Make sure your security key is plugged into your computer and Click Continue
- Click Ok on the pop-ups that appear, then touch your security key as instructed by the final pop-up
- The security key is now set up, and should show up in your devices on the Duo Authentication page
If you run into any issues during this process, please call the IT Help Desk at 701-231-8685.
Adding a Code Generator
Code generators are not plugged into your computer, but rather generate a code for the user to type into the DUO prompt for the second factor factor of authentication.
To add a code generator to your DUO account, you must call the IT Help Desk at 701-231-8685 and they will be able to register the device to your DUO account.