Topics Map > Teaching HyFlex
Topics Map > Services > Accessibility and Universal Design
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Assistive Technology
Blackboard - Add Alternative Text to Images
When creating content in the Blackboard Content Editor (the WYSIWYG text editor), it is important to tag images properly with alternative text so they are readable and accessible by individuals with disabilities.
Accessible documents benefit everyone - not just those with disabilities! For example, accessible documents benefit cell phone and tablet users, as well as students with low bandwidth access. Accessible documents also make it easier for browsers to display them and are much easier to convert to various platforms or formats.
Alternative text provides a textual alternative to graphics and images and serves several functions:
- The alternative text can be read audibly, allowing the content and purpose of the image to be accessible to those with visual or certain cognitive disabilities.
- Text is displayed in place of the image if the image file is not loaded or when the user chooses not to view images in their browser.
- Computers and assistive technologies cannot analyze an image and determine what it is without alternative text.
Alternative text should:
- describe the image and its purpose
- include important text from the image
- be accurate
- be briefly and clearly expressed
- not be redundant
- not use the phrases "image of..." "graphic of..." or "logo of..." to describe the image
- not be over 125 characters (most screen readers will stop reading after reaching 125 characters)
Adding Alternative Text to an Image in the Content Editor
- Position the cursor in the Content Editor text box at the location where you want to insert an image.
- Click the (Add content) button > select the source where the file is stored > select the image file > Open
- Right-click on the image in the text editor to select it > Image
- Add descriptive text in the "Alternative description" field > Save
- Add other content in the text box as needed > Submit