Topics Map > Services > Communication and Collaboration Tools (Web, Video, Voice, Storage) > Video Streaming
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning, and Classrooms > Learning Management System
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning, and Classrooms > Video Streaming
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning, and Classrooms > Synchronous Online Instruction
Zoom - Navigating the different features and tools available
The Zoom menu contains several features that can be used at any time throughout class meetings. For laptops, Windows, and Macs the menu can be found by hovering over the bottom of the Zoom window. In the Zoom desktop client, the menu can be accessed by tapping the bottom of the client window.
Zoom Menu Features
- Mute: Silences and un-silences your microphone.
- Invite: Lets you bring more people into the, if your instructor/meeting host provides those permissions.
- Share Screen: Allows you to share a variety of windows and applications. Participants can share views of their desktops and specific windows currently open on their computer, write on a digital whiteboard, and even share a screen directly from their iPhone or iPad. For more information on screen sharing go to the Zoom Help Center, Sharing your screen
Note: It is helpful to have two monitors when sharing screens to have easier access to the meeting controls
- Whiteboard: the Whiteboard feature will allow you to share a whiteboard that everyone (if allowed) can annotate on. For more information on this go to the Zoom Help Center, Sharing a whiteboard
- Annotation Tools: Meeting participants can annotate on a shared screen as a viewer or the one who started the share. For more information on this go to the Zoom Help Center, Using annotation tools on a shared screen or whiteboard
- Chat: Works just like Facebook Messenger, but without the fun GIFs and stickers. You can send messages to everyone, just the instructor/meeting host, or a specific person (depending on the permissions set by the meeting host). For more information go to the Zoom Help Center, Using in-meeting chat and select whether you are using a computer or Android/iOS mobile device.
- Record: If the meeting host allows it, you can record and download as much of the meeting as you want. More information on recording can be found at the Zoom Help Center, Local recording NOTE: Class recordings may not be shared outside of class. Refer to Code of Student Conduct regarding privacy, responsibilities and respect.
- Leave Meeting: Click this when you're ready to peace out and get some off-screen time.
- More (on the Zoom client/app): Allows you to Raise your Hand, and other features. Check out the Zoom Help Center article on Nonverbal feedback during meetings and scroll down to Providing and managing feedback.