Topics Map > Teaching HyFlex
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning, and Classrooms > Learning Management System
Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning, and Classrooms > Synchronous Online Instruction
Attendance Strategies in HyFlex Environments
Notice: If you are looking for resources on HyFlex teaching, please visit our Teach HyFlex Page
Below are some strategies for instructors at NDSU to help keep track of attendance while teaching in a HyFlex environment.
- Questions using the new TurningPoint Web (clicker type questions) during class session. Students can respond on any mobile devices and computers. Remote students join in and asynchronous can be set up to respond later.
- Short Blackboard (Bb) quiz that is timed to open up at start of class with a password. Students respond to a few low stakes questions when class first starts and closes after 5-10 minutes. This will provide a listing showing activity (tests completed) and students could earn a point or two for their answers. It can be a quick knowledge check combined with documenting attendance.
- Bb Discussion forum asking students to post a question from the class they just attended. Set the permissions that they do not see other posts until they post.
- Bb Learning Journals – student write up their one-minute paper right after class to reflect on what the key concepts were and what they need help with
- Web conferencing participation/attendee log
- Bb Collaborate Attendance – participants listed in Blackboard
- Zoom integrated into Bb – the Attendance Report for Zoom is located inside your Blackboard course site. It can also be accessed outside of Bb in the NDSU Zoom portal after the class session is over.
- Teams meeting attendance report
- Another idea is to have the students check in via the chat feature to say hi, I’m here, thumbs up, tip of the day, best song, etc. Anything to add a little fun!
- Bb Attendance tool – roll call 5 minutes into class, or at the end of class to ensure students are still there.
- Bb Group activities
- Ask the groups to submit notes sharing the work each class session. Could be a photo of handwritten notes
- photos of the students working
- screen capture of a breakout room in Zoom or Collaborate
- VoiceThread posts and replies to posts
- Teaching HyFlex
- Information Technology
- Learning & Applied Innovation Center (LAIC)
- Teaching Tools & Technology