Topics Map > Services > Teaching, Learning and Classrooms > Exam Management
LockDown Browser - Respondus Student Quick Start Guide
This is a quick start guide for students using Respondus LockDown browser.
Installing Respondus LockDown Browser
If you are using a computer located in one of the NDSU computer clusters, Respondus LockDown Browser is already installed on all Windows and Macintosh machines.
Please see LockDown Browser - Download/Install Respondus to download on your personal computer
- The Respondus LockDown Browser provided by NDSU cannot be used to take a test which requires the ALEKS LockDown Browser - contact the course instructor for more information.
- If you are required to use both Yuja Test Proctoring and Respondus LockDown Browser for the same test, you must first start the YuJa test recording using a different browser (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, etc.), then start Respondus LockDown Browser to begin the test.
Taking a test
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect to the Internet. Having an application running in the background can cause Respondus LockDown Browser to 'lock up' and kick you out of the exam!
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Macintosh users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging, etc.) choose Yes.
- Log in to your Blackboard course.
- Navigate to the test and select it
- A window will open, “Begin: (Name of the test) – Requires Respondus LockDown Browser”. Click Begin.
- If your instructor requires a password to begin the test, a popup window will prompt you to enter the password to continue. If the instructor did not set up the test with a password, you should NOT see a password prompt.
- If you see a screen similar to this, DO NOT CHANGE THE PASSWORD. This box should disappear quickly
- The test should start. Once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot leave the test or close LockDown Browser until you click the Submit button!
- Message: To confirm the test submission. Click OK.
- The test was successfully submitted.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser, contact your instructor.