Topics Map > Services > Computing Equipment, Software and Support > Desktop Support
Desktop Support - Management Tools
Updates and Patches
- It depends on how frequently updates are available from manufactures and open source communities
- Maintenance period is from Midnight to 6 AM
- Most patches will be deployed automatically over three nights after a day of testing. This approach allows us to monitor patch roll-outs to help ensure the whole campus is not impacted by a poorly engineered update
- Here is an example of the sequencing based on Microsoft’s typical Patch Tuesday cycle:
- First phase of patches goes to machines that end with the number 9 (e.g. Sxxxxxxxxx9) on Thursday night (technically early Friday morning)
- Second phase would be installed on the Sunday night (technically early Monday morning) to computers that end in 2 and 3 (e.g. Sxxxxxxxxx2, Sxxxxxxxxxx3)
- Final phase will be on Monday night (technically early Tuesday morning) for the rest of campus
- These updates will force a reboot during the nightly maintenance cycle
- If a computer does not receive its update at night due to not being on a network or powered on and has reached over 14 days of not receiving a patch. It will go during normal business hours with the no reboot policy applied but with a message to the end user to restart their computer.
Antivirus definitions are updated before each daily scan and on a 2 hour interval if systems have connectivity to management tool. If no connectivity to our management tool the systems will update antivirus definitions from alternative sources every 4 hours.