Topics Map > Services > Computing Equipment, Software and Support > Desktop Support
Desktop Support - Management Tools
IT Helpdesk and Desktop Support utilizes Microsoft's System Center for remote management of PC's and also utilizes JAMF for Macs. They provide remote management, image deployment, software installations, patch management and other administrative functionality.
Updates and Patches
- It depends on how frequently updates are available from manufactures and open source communities
- Maintenance period is from Midnight to 6 AM
- Most patches will be deployed automatically over three nights after a day or so of testing. This approach allows us to monitor patch roll-outs to help ensure the whole campus is not impacted by a poorly engineered update
- Here is an example of the sequencing based on Microsoft’s typical Patch Tuesday cycle:
- First phase of patches goes to machines that end with the number 9 (e.g. Sxxxxxxxxx9) on Thursday night (technically early Friday morning)
- Second phase would be installed on the Sunday night (technically early Monday morning) to computers that end in 2 and 3 (e.g. Sxxxxxxxxx2, Sxxxxxxxxxx3)
- Final phase will be on Monday night (technically early Tuesday morning) for the rest of campus
- These updates will force a reboot during the nightly maintenance cycle
- If a computer does not receive its update at night due to not being on a network or powered on and has reached over 15 days of not receiving a patch. It will go during normal business hours with the no reboot policy applied but with a message to the end user to restart there computer.